Accueil NEWS Senegal: Woodside completes the construction of the FPSO "Leopold Sédar Senghor

Senegal: Woodside completes the construction of the FPSO "Leopold Sédar Senghor

by admin
Sénégal : Woodside achève la construction du FPSO "Leopold Sédar Senghor"

Sangomar FPSO en route to Singapore for offshore integration and commissioning to produce "first oil" in 2023 in Senegal

Woodside Energy has completed construction of the floating production, storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel for the Sangomar oil field development, offshore Senegal, and has thanked its Chinese subcontractors for their fabrication and conversion work.

The Léopold Sedar Senghor FPSO, named after Senegal's first president, is now en route from China to Keppel Offshore & Marine's Tuas yard in Singapore for the completion of topsides integration and where pre-commissioning and commissioning activities will be performed.

The first oil is on track for the end of 2023.

The FPSO, a converted very large crude carrier, will have the capacity to produce 100,000 barrels of crude per day.

The Sangomar Phase 1 project is currently approximately 70% complete and will be Senegal's first offshore oil project. The development includes the FPSO, 23 wells and supporting subsea infrastructure, designed to enable tie-in of subsequent phases.

Australian operator Woodside has awarded the 2020 floater contract for its Sangomar Phase 1 development to Modec of Japan.

The hull work, installation of the external turret and surface modules, and conversion work on the FPSO were completed by China's Cosco. The surface modules were manufactured by Cosco and its compatriot Bomesc, while China's Penglai Jutal (PJOE) manufactured the external turret mooring system.

Woodside's leader, Meg O'Neill, certified the achievements of Modec, Cosco, Bomesc and PJOE in completing the fabrication and conversion work.

"The Chinese have achieved excellent safety performance throughout this construction phase, logging more than 16 million hours of complex construction work without a lost-time accident.

"The construction teams have also successfully met the challenges posed by pandemic-related travel and logistical restrictions throughout 2021 and 2022, ensuring that the FPSO remains on schedule for start-up of the Sangomar field in late 2023," she said.

The FPSO Leopold Sedar Senghor is now expected to be delivered by Keppel O&M in the first quarter of next year.

Woodside has an 82% interest in the Sangomar project, with Petrosen holding the remaining 18%.

You may also like

About us

Or Noir Africa continues to provide timely information and in-depth analysis of the events shaping this exciting region of Africa

Best Articles

Newsletter

Subscribe my Newsletter for new blog posts, tips & new photos. Let's stay updated!

en_US